Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dutch dinner, part 3: Chicken Sate

I really was super woman yesterday, even though multi-tasking is not my forte. In my defense, our three Dutch dishes were not supposed to all be made at the same time! The original plan was for Niels and I to do all the prep work on Tuesday night. That didn't happen though, because Niels had an meeting at church and I was not feeling well. (I've been pretty exhausted and lightheaded the last few weeks and am waiting for some test results to hopefully clear things up). So Wednesday afternoon, the house was a mess and Niels had to work a little later because he was on Daniel duty that morning while I was at the doctor having said tests done to me. Nothing like a little stress! That said, Niels got home about an hour before our ten dinner guests, in time to help clean up, vacuum, run to the store to get the frying oil I forget, entertain Daniel and help me finish up the meal. (He's super man!).

So, meal #3, Chicken Sate, is a little less documented. We had to improvise a little bit, because I also forgot to get skewer sticks. Sate is marinated chicken served with peanut sauce, which of course, I made from scratch, because I'm a little nuts sometimes. :-)


Ingredients:
4 chicken breast halves, skinned, boned & cut into 1/2" cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. lemon juice

Instructions:
Combine above ingredients and let marinate 2 hours. Thread on skewers and grill approximately 5 minutes on each side or until done, or broil in oven. Do not overcook or it will be dry. Serve with peanut sauce.

Chicken in marinade

PEANUT SAUCE:
3 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
4 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. dark soy sauce
1 tsp. dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes (or hot chili paste)
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ground coriander

Niels says that the peanut sauce should look creamier. It's possible that the all natural peanut butter, which also has a drier texture is the culprit. It could also be that my brain was pretty fried at this point, and I made a mistake! At any rate, it was delicious and there wasn't any left!

No comments: