Thursday, May 7, 2009

Guarded Joy

The third of the Daniel poems. This one was written the day we found out we were pregnant.

Guarded Joy

“Congratulations!”
The nurse said casually
as if the miracle she acknowledged
was not a miracle we doubted.
“Really?”
I was prepared
For another disappointment
Geared up to clear things up
And try
Try again.
But we’re pregnant.
It’s true.
exciting
fearful
nerve-wracking
It’s guarded joy.
I call my husband
And he is just as stunned.
“Really?”
I hear him click on his calendar
As we schedule an early ultrasound.
The staff knows how hard it’s been
They promise me extra care
“Congratulations!”
They call as I exit the door.
Tears of disbelief
Mingled with tears of guarded joy
Flow down my unbelieving cheeks.
I’m pregnant.
Really.

Jen de Jong
4/8/08

No comments: