Thursday, April 16, 2009

I Corinthians 13 for Moms

Read this on another site that I frequent and thought I'd share it with all those other Mom's out there that might take a glance at my blog. Enjoy.


If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place,
but have not love,
I am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.

If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements,
but have not love,
my children learn cleanliness, not godliness.

If I scream at my children for every infraction,
and fault them for every mess they make,
but have not love,
my children become people-pleasers, not obedient children.

Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.
Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.
Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.
Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.

Love accepts the fact that I am the ever-present "mommy,"
the taxi-driver to every childhood event,
the counselor when my children fail or are hurt.

Love crawls with the baby, walks with the toddler, and runs with the child,
then stands aside to let the youth walk into adulthood.

Before I became a mother I took glory in my house of perfection.
Now I glory in God's perfection of my child.

All the projections I had for my house and my children
have faded away into insignificance,
And what remain are the memories of my kids.

Now there abides in my home scratches on most of the furniture,
dishes with missing place settings,
and bedroom walls full of stickers, posters and markings,
But the greatest of all is the Love
that permeates my relationships with my children.

-Adapted by Jim Fowler

1 comment:

jens mom said...

That reminds me of my friend, Lillian Anderson, who lived in Delano. They saved up to buy a beautiful special ordered pine dining room table set. A week after it arrived, sitting in polished splender in their family room, their 12 year old son, Danny, did his math assignment on that table, and yup! To this day his figures are indented into that tabletop. It was upsetting at the time, but a treasure in the following years.